Subscribe to my RSS Feeds

Motormouth From Ipoh

Thursday, March 27, 2008

FINALLY!!

Wow, imagine 2 wks living on an island, with NO internet connection, (actually there is, but must pay one), everything paid for, including 6 meals a day. Yes, SIX meals a day. Wow, talk bout gluttony ....
In fact, time flew by pretty fast, without realising it, suddenly 14 days had passed since my last post here, on the 14th of Mar 08. Initially, we did not prepare for the onslaught of talks, 8 hrs a day, until 10.30 every nite! It was bored, but we got through VERY WELL .... In fact, I'm starting to miss those good times ...



Enough rambling, let's get to the good stuff ... the FOOD! I was here, at the same hotel last Oct, for another course (yeah, lucky me) and I knew what to expect from the kitchen. Though sometimes repetitive, the quality of the food served is pretty high, unlike normal bland and yucky hotel food. Though curry made up most of the dishes, in fact everyday we had curry, but i'm not complaining. =P On the 4th day, suddenly the kitchen whipped up FRIED SALT AND PEPPER SQUID!!!! OMG .... Everyone was rushing for it, but as it was buffet style, they replenish pretty fast. The taste? YUMMY! A deserved break from the norms, dipped in Thai chili sauce, the batter was amazing! crunchy, springy squids, well seasoned ..... That was why the plate above looked pretty empty. Haha ... forgot to whip out my camera phone before finishing most of it .....


The organizers (urusetia) got special table, and sometimes different dishes. One night, I spied fried kangkung in batter (tenpura style), and after slight persuasion, managed to 'steal' some for our own consumption. Haha ... Not exactly crunchy, but quite tasty nevertheless, compared to the usual bland vege dishes. To imagine I would sell my dignity for a taste of some dishes ... ;)


Some random pictures of fruits and snacks, served with every meal. Never in my life had i eaten watermelon for 2 weeks straight, twice a day! Guess it really helps with digestive system?


After the amazing taste of fried squid, we were treated with the usual curries, (though the lamb was pretty tasty), fish (all of them sucked, except when they served sweet and sour fish fillet), vege, etc etc for the subsequent days. Til one fine day, when I sold my dignity (again) and requested a favour from a waiter who knows me, to kindly suggest to the almighty chef to whip up the gorgeously delicious dish again. I was not the only one who fell in love with it, in fact my dream (?) came true few days later when the squid was served AGAIN! And everyone rushed and piled up their plates with the heavenly dish like nobody's business! Luckily I was one of the few firsts, completely ignoring the impaling stares, and piled up mine like the pic above. MUAHAHA .... I requested ma, cannot take more? :)

In fact, maybe the chef mood was in hyper mode that day, he/she decided to tease our appetite even more by serving 3 types of salads which were pretty appetizing. A very very satisfying meal, this time, the chef changed the accompanying sauce to an even tastier one, sour, tangy, sweet, spicy ..... Really good stuff.


Still feeling pretty tired after all the travelling. Might as well stop here, and continue tonight. More to come ....

In case you're wondering, the hotel we stayed was Coral Bay Resort, Pangkor. The rooms are top notch, at affordable price. It is situated at Pasir Bogak, around 5 minutes from the jetty by van. Til then .... *yawn* ....