Subscribe to my RSS Feeds

Motormouth From Ipoh

Monday, December 1, 2008

Nam Chun @ Lucky Garden, Bangsar - Perk YOUR Morning Up with a bowl of Sarawak Laksa

Here's something to tantalize that tastebuds, early on a Monday morning .....


By now, probably needs no introduction .... THAT famous Sarawak Laksa stall in Lucky Garden, anyone?

Watched it on TV. Read this from blogs aeons ago. And finally dragged myself over for a taste of ... well, possibly the closest one can get to the REAL thing.

Complimentary (compulsory's more like it) condiments of pungent sambal and lime

Swimming in that not-too-thick gravy, a bowl at RM5 won't puncture a hole in your pocket ...

Thicker vermicelli was used, and the portion was more than sufficient for breakfast. The broth was good, thick yet not overly rich, with strong hints of "santan" (coconut laksa), reminiscing of curry laksa. Yet it was not spicy at all, and even subtly sweet. Squeeze that half of lime, and the additional tangy flavour will pique that tastebuds of yours. The accompanying 3 medium-sized prawns, shredded chicken meat, and bean sprouts were the usual suspects, but paired perfectly.
Sadly they were not serving abacus seeds (suan pan zi) that morning. Not sure they serve them anymore though, as I did not bother to ask. And another funny thing was, the service was so prompt (she does hire 3-4 workers to assist her though), by the time I reached my seats, the guy was in fact tailing me throughout. =P
Dry Wantan Noodle with Char Siew (RM4)

The other stalls around were running at full steam as well, particularly a Char Kuey Teow stall named Steve's, a pork mee/fish head noodles stall, a chicken rice stall, and this wantan noodle stall. The stretch of glistening, caramelized and dark Char Siew (marinated BBQ pork) hanging on for dear life was sooooo tempting. And the plate of soy sauce+dark soy sauce tossed springy egg noodles, with generous serving of thinly-sliced Char Siew was a notch better than the average wantan mee.
Let's hope the business above doesn't involve hanky-panky... =P

More on KL food in later posts .... I'm out.
Location : Nam Chun @ 2-4, Lorong Ara Kiri, Lucky Garden, Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur.
Got MAP !!!
Those who've tasted that fiery (not really ...) concoction sometime in the olden days :

13 comments:

Selba said...

Sambal with lime... it must be really yummy...

Little Inbox said...

Take Sarawak laksa for breakfast ar? Too heavy or not? :) Anyway, it looks so tempting.

minchow said...

Oh yes... this Sarawak laksa takes the crown from this coffee shop. Although the other stalls don't seem to have a problem keeping up either! I don't mind that laksa for breakfast, lunch or dinner!

Anonymous said...

Awww... I wanna go back there again.

jasmine said...

haha, i also blogged about the same place... but I do like their version. Reminds me of home.

Anonymous said...

I should have a small dish of sambal and lime by my side permanently wherever I go... :D

Ciki said...

haven't been back for my fix in a while.. must go soon la...

Rebecca Saw said...

yup, they do still serve the abacus thingy.mayb u were tooo early! ;p

J2Kfm said...

Selba : yeah, sour and spicy. perfect for any noodles.

Little Inbox : ehhhh ... let's say, I can still stomach a popia or two after that. :)

550ml jar of faith : indeed. the place was swarmed with patrons early in the morn. great spot for breakfast, I'd say.

jason : the abacus seeds sedap ah? in fact, I was looking fwd to tasting that, more than the laksa.

jasmine : oh, did we bump into each other then? :)

Life for Beginners : other than laksa and pan mee, this can be great accompaniment to maggi goreng.

cumi & ciki : many ordered the pork noodles as well. wonder that's nice.

thenomadGourmand : ha? I've missed that for being an early bird? geez... and who came up with the saying, "Early Bird gets the Worms?!!"

cariso said...

Now you are finally Sarawak Laksa? Is this the one I last time 'begged' u to try out on behalf of me one? :)

J2Kfm said...

on behalf? jhahah .. i forgot lah. but yeah, finally I managed to find my way around Lucky Garden. :)

choi yen said...

Just read about this at Jasmine's blog, already jot it down ;)

Anonymous said...

Ah! Another good food to hunt!
I had a great outing at the Taiwanese Snack Food in Ipoh. The bill came to only RM23+ for the 5 of us! The peanut milk is a bit diluted, although they serve a really big bowl of the hot version. The rice roll is really good.
As for this Nam Chun in Bangsar, is it the coffee shop on the same row as Domino's pizza? Thanks!