Subscribe to my RSS Feeds

Motormouth From Ipoh

Monday, June 9, 2008

Yong Tau Foo @ Pasir Pinji Big Tree Foot

Probably the name was derived from those BIG trunks?

A popular spot for quick, cheap and satisfying lunch among the blue collars, this stall coined as "Dai Shu Kiok" literally translated as Big Tree Foot, is located behind Tuck Kee Restaurant in Pasir Pinji.

Wide array of fried yong tau foo (Zhau Liu) at 50-60 cents each

Not to be confused with THE other stall (now a shop) at Jalan Prince, Pasir Pinji (click HERE for my previous take on those yummy fried goodies), this stall has a following of its own, normally crowded during lunch hour, although the hygiene factor of dining under this shack is slightly compromised. But for a taste of good food, throw your caution to the wind for once. =P

Pick your favourite pieces, order their laksa/noodles, sit down and wait to be served ...

Recently, a coffee shop has opened next to this shack, with a stall selling the same stuff. Though having your meals inside the shoplot with cooling fans is tempting, I was not sure the authenticity of the yong tau foo, thus, ended up trusting my instinct and paying this same stall a visit. (Would love to hear what you think of the new stall, Jason. Hehe)

Mixed Fruit Ice (RM3.50)

The 'Chap Guo Ping' (Mixed Fruit Ice) came in a HUGE jug, enough for sharing. With lots of fruit bits added, and lychee syrup poured liberately over the shaved ice, this is heaven-sent on a hot, sunny day.

Low Shu Fun (Rice Noodles) with Dry Curry

You can order laksa, or other types of noodles to go with their stuffed fish paste (yong tau foo), OR you can just pick your pieces and eat them on their own. (Good when you're in a rush, and you do not wish to wait for the noodles)


The main characters themselves. Enough said.

The fried variety got my vote, as I've always have a strange bias for fried stuff. The fish paste used was homemade, and the pieces are not miniature in size, but rather stuffed to the brim. Highly recommended is the Fried Stuffed Sar Kok (Turnip). But really, go for anything ... they're all good.

Watch out for the lunch crowd, as you may have to queue up and brace the wait. Parking may be a hindrance, as the allocated parking spots are rather limited, forcing most to double park by the roadside.

Location : Behind Tuck Kee Restaurant, which is located at Jalan Tokong, in Pasir Pinji area. Nearby there is also a good 'dai chow' restaurant named Wong Kok.

22 comments:

sc said...

looks yummy but alas..it's in ipoh.. :(

wmw said...

The Mixed Fruit Ice looks really thirst quenching!

New Kid on the Blog said...

I've been searching this place whenever am in Ipoh. Can never find it... :(

HairyBerry said...

lou shu fan with curry...wah, sudah lama tak makan lor! i wonder if they are available in kl...sigh..lucky you! ;)

Elin Chia said...

I've been there. Cheap and delicious. The pieces of 'liew'are quite big too. Haha..ur lo si fun with dry curry looks tempting. It seems the queue is quite long during lunch time. :)

Hulk said...

Its my Hulk-sis favourite so also frens-Avengers of mine from KL. We did try out the wrong outlet once & to our dismay it was average afair though much more comfy.
I even spot 1 Singaporean actor ...the Ah-Beng guy who is also the main cast of Ah Long Ltd.
U can even fill the Autumn season when strong wind blows. Lots of leaf-drops + extra heavenly ingredients.

J2Kfm said...

sc : hehe, Ipoh's a mere hours away, come anytime!

wmw : yeah, I was struggling to finish the whole thing, what with brain freeze and all. :)

NKOTB : u need further directions? email me at messon2k(at)gmail(dot)com. I'll try my best

nic : eh, most yong tau foo stall still selling right?

elinluv : yeah, but worth the wait for the reasonable and tasty 'liew'

hulk : haha ... attracts lots customers, mostly those dressed to the nines. =P

gill gill said...

My hubby brought me there a few times whenever we dropped by to ipoh, and go there not only the for yong tau foo...is for the pasir pinjir Chee Cheong Fun which just few roads away...

Anonymous said...

Haha, will post that up soon. :)
But but but.... they have such fancy drinks there now!?

hongdoe said...

Oooh...I love this place a lot. Always drove here whenever I come here for my holidays, can't get enough of their YTF because they're so creative! I loved their stuffed yar char kuey (chinese crullers) and longbeans YTF. If only eating fried stuff like these doesn't goes straight to my hips..I'd eat it everyday.

Anonymous said...

yeah.. their yong tau foo tastes good... but, laksa... errr.... terrible!!! haha.. too sour and a bit salty.... may induce gastric problem... :P

J2Kfm said...

gill gill : yes, I grew up with the CCF, literally, as it is behind my old house. :)

jason : yeah, and some others ice-blended varieties. commercializing huh?

boobsy : hehe, eat it once in a while is OK i supposed? the stuffed yew char kueh is nice.

kca : I don't take laksa anyway, so no comments. :)

24HrMom said...

Whenever I go back hometown, I'll definately visit this place and have my favorite stuffed sar kot and not all yet, I'd still ta pau back to Penang for dinner and my fellow friends. ;-)

There's another very yummy yeong tau foo which only opens at night from 5pm to midnight. You go all the way down from this big foot tree to Pasir Pinji primary school. Follow the turning. It's just right in front of the police station. I forgot the name of the shop. I've taken pics of it, but did not blog. Obviously, I've misplaced the photos. :-D

tinkerbel82 said...

my favourite place!!! i dont mind if i put on 10kgs eating this!! will definitely FLY back to eat this!!!
Yum Yum YUM!! im loving your blog!!!

J2Kfm said...

thanks, tinkerbel82, that's a great compliment. :)

soulesscloudy said...

wow.. been there once... nice "yong liew" and nice red bean ice blend.. as well.. yummy..

J2Kfm said...

hi WanWan, agreed that the fried liew are incomparable. really cant find one that matches the addictiveness, at merely 50 cents a pc.

Anonymous said...

I was only there last month for a treat.
Whilst there, a thunderstorm broke, the heavens really opened
and those eating outside ran helter skelter for cover!

J2Kfm said...

alangian : hahaha, thats so unlucky! did they pay? or get any compensation then? :)

wet fried YTF can't be any good, right?

Anonymous said...

I was there one late afternoon last month. Whilst there the heavens opened and all those seated outside fled with their food to drier territory.Lol.
The thunderstorm lasted an hour.
- bs6

J2Kfm said...

hi Anonymous. funny, were u there the same time with alangian (refer comment above)? :)

The Travelling Foodie said...

If you like beef noodles and fried Sar Kok Liew or anything fried, you should try Restoran Desa Rishah in Falim. Really good.